Monday, July 16, 2007

March-April-May Market wrap

I'm back from a too long hiatus, and just wanted to post updated SFH and Condo prices published by MAR for March, April and May.


Reading the media and blog coverage of these data releases, I couldn't help but notice a growing move toward balancing MAR numbers with those from the Warren Group and others. Below, I've plotted the YOY change in SFH prices over the last 15 months from both MAR and the Warren Group. For comparison, I've also plotted the S&P Case-Schiller HPI for the Boston MSA, which differs from the others in that it reports prices from repeat transactions, in a smaller geographical area.



Clearly MAR numbers have trended toward less severe price declines than those from the Warren Group (I couldn't track down Sept 06 data). The difference was particularly pronounced in May (+0.65% vs -4.6%). One likely explanation for the trend: sellers at lower price points are increasingly selling without a realtor, hence some lower price transactions captured by the Warren Group are missed by the MAR.




8 comments:

Ravi said...

Welcome back!

Good to see these updated charts. :-)

David said...

Glad to see you back! You and your awesome charts have been missed!

Homes said...

I know you've got a great post and I thank you for sharing it. It would be too selfish on my part if I don't share this link to you: http://homes.relatedlistings.com

Carlos said...

These articles are fantastic; the information you show us is interesting for everybody and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it...:Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica: jcondos house, costa rica beach condos, condos rentals. Visit us for more info at: http://www.jaco-bay.com/

donald said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Betty


http://www.my-foreclosures.info

paula said...

I can see that you are putting a lot of time and effort into your blog and detailed articles! Will be back often to read more updates!

Paula M
philippine real estate

richard said...

SM condo

SM Residences

Besta Meyer

Nick said...

cottage rentals
I would like to appreciate your work and would like to tell to my friends.